The big house at Cedar Grove was begun by James Joseph and Harriet Blackshear circa 1841. They hired the English born architect John Wind, who designed other monumental Greek Revival mansions and the Thomas County courthouse. James Joseph was killed in a cotton press accident in November of 1843. Harriet became a prominent planter in her own right, and in 1857 she had 161 slaves working 4814 acres in cotton, rice, sweet potatoes, and sustaining food crops and livestock in Thomas County. Harriet died in 1863. Hard times fell on Cedar Grove until wealthy northern industrialists discovered the Thomasville plantations in the 1880s.
Dr Metcalfe of New York acquired Cedar Grove in 1887, using it as a hunting property but never residing in the big house. He renamed Cedar Grove to Susina. He had a wife named Susan and Susina is Italian for plum, which grew on the property.
In 1891, A. Heywood Mason of Philadelphia acquired Susina and made numerous improvements. Mason families were sensitive stewards of Susina for 90 years.
Anne Marie Walker acquired the big house and 115 acres in 1980 and operated a bed & breakfast. Randall and Marilynn Rhea of Atlanta acquired Susina in 2000 for use as their private residence.